4 String Nerubian

4 String

Bubinga Body

Wenge Neck

Wenge Fretboard

Kahler Tremolo

Hipshot Tuners

EMG P/J Pickups

Nordstrand 3B-5b Preamp

All Black Hardware

 

May 22, 2009

I made the full size template. I may have to modify the neck pocket area to create more space for attaching the neck.

 

May 24, 2009

Here is the template cut out, but without the headstock.

 

June 3, 2009

Well, it seems the body is most of the way done. I had to add the wenge accent stripes to get the bubinga wide enough.

 

June 6, 2009

Change of plans, the bass will have a redwood burl top. I bookmatched the top and made the fretboard.

 

June 12, 2009

I have done a bunch of work on this bass lately, but not too many pictures. I made the wenge neck blank, cut out the neck, routed the truss rod channel, installed the truss rod, glued on the fretboard, drilled the tuner holes, made side dot markers and probably something else that I am missing.

 

July 2, 2009

Back to work on this bass. I thinned it down so I could glue the top on. The top, with black veneer, is drying as we speak. I also started roughing out the back of the neck. I was able to be part of a test group to try out these new pickup mounts. They look great so far. I’ll let you know more when I use them.

 

July 8, 2009

I glued on the headstock veneer to match the body. I also used the router to make every edge of the body a 45 degree angle. Looks nice and sharp now.

 

July 11, 2009

Started to work on the inlay… Chinese for “Fire”, or so I am told. ;)

 

August 16, 2009

I am getting some more work done on this one. Bridge, control and bridge pickup cavities routed. Frets installed, but not filed.

 

July 28, 2009

I finally got the p pickup routing template and was able to route that and the neck pocket. I still need to route the pickup area in the neck though.

 

September 7, 2009

I got the neck ferrules in and the neck routed for the pickup. I also did some work on the frets and shaping of the headstock. Oh, and I put the serial number “JC0918″ on the back of the headstock. I forgot to take all these pictures though.

 

September 19, 2009

I drilled the hole for the output jack, made the control cavity cover, drilled a bunch of holes and got the pickup mounting plates in. I am on to final sanding at this point and then finish.

 

October 17, 2009

After many weeks of sanding, the bass received its first coat of oil…

 

October 21, 2009

The finish is about done and I am test fitting all the parts.

 

November 11, 2009

The neck is just about done and I am getting the electronics done today as well.

 

November 21, 2009

Some almost done finish pictures…

 

December 6, 2009

The waterfall shot!

Customer Testimonial

“The shape and crafting is amazing! It looks like a real work of art up close. I love the way the bolt-on neck connects to the body, the intricate carvings of both body and headstock… and of course, the top is simply amazing! Much more amazing up close than looking at it in the pics. I also love it that you didn't make the body too big. Great work with the design and the balance, considering that we only interacted online.”

- Reuel Tan